It was approximately 4:30 in the afternoon. Tuey had arrived home with Wesley and together they were going to get the books they needed for tomorrow's English class (Death of a Salesman). I was in the kitchen getting an early "do" on tonight's dinner. (Potatoes, bacon, eggs, and toast and so far I'm just working on the potatoes which are sticking to the bottom of the pan) I was anxiously awaiting Seth's arrival in the van because I wanted to see his yearbook, which just came out today. Lindsay announced Seth was home. I looked out the kitchen window and ask "where?" because the van isn't in it's customary spot. "Behind Tuey's car," she responded. The next words issued from her mouth were something like, "Seth hit Tuey's car." Adrenaline began to fill me and I rushed out the front door and saw that my two beautiful boys were rounding on one another with angry faces, their voices raised. Thinking of my own stake in this (the van. MY van) I entered the fray with my own voice raised. I walked to the fence and began asking questions. As I'm assimilating all the information, the boys break into accusatory tones and before I know it, Seth has thrust his eyeglasses into my hands and the two of them are standing on the street corner at each others throats. I stand by momentarily in a state that wavers between a strange kind of patience and disbelief. When I realize that the scuffle is going to continue, I make my move. As I near them, I can feel the testosterone emanating from both of them and briefly wonder if I will come out ahead. I grab Seth (because he is bigger), turn him around and give him a pop in the face. He looks at me in surprise, but it has put an end to the altercation.
So here is what happened and I will leave the judgement to the reader: Wesley's pickup was parked just far enough ahead of Tuey's car that Seth didn't want to have to parallel park. He assumed Tuey was going to pull forward and leave because after all, his engine was running. Instead, Tuey backed up (to get his tires away from the sidewalk as he had just Armor-alled them and didn't want scuffs.) He backed up at the same time Seth pulled forward and now the bumper on the Van has a dent in it.
However,after some analysis, the words exchanged during this donnybrook had more to do with the fact that (and they are now in agreement on this part) life for both of them is about to change from what they have known and shared for the past three years. They are having a difficult time going forward to the next level.
Heavy sigh. (Don't tell anyone, but I am too.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i guess boys will be boys. i guess. hopefully they will come to some manner of agreement of where to go next, and that they will remain friends.
Post a Comment